Friday, January 13, 2012

Eclectic Reader Challenge 2012: Non-Fiction



I picked up a copy of Six Cats in My Kitchen by Lyn Horner when I mentioned the Eclectic Reader Challenge in Amazon's Meet our Authors forum (on a side note, it's amazing how many people will respond when you mention possibly getting featured on someone's blog as a review). It is a non-fiction story about, you guessed it, six cats that at one time lived together in the author's house. The idea of six cats living together seems like mass chaos even to this cat loving reader, but the book, thankfully, managed to make sense out of the situation and give each cat a chance to shine.

Like all good animal stories do, this cat tale brought out anecdotes about their human housemates as well. I learned a little about life, death, and the Horner's struggles with Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease. The story read like a story that someone would tell at the kitchen table, complete with asides about interesting things that were happening at the same time.

I was alarmed, however, when I read about Horner letting her declawed cats outside because "they need their taste of freedom". Without going into too much of a rant, I must note that there's a reason why most shelters won't let you adopt cats you plan on letting outside; it's extremely dangerous for the cat. Horner advises in the end, "Please be wise; don't do as I do."

Overall, if you're looking for an honest memoir with some cats that shared the author's life over the years, you should take a look at Six Cats in My Kitchen.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you, Sara Jo, for your honest and perceptive review of my book. I'm aware that my views on cat care don't agree with many others', making the book somewhat controversial. As you noted, I have mixed feelings about letting my cats outside. I worry about them when they go out, but I don't have the heart to keep them forever shut up. That seems cruel to me. Only my opinion of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you are honest with your opinion, Lyn. It makes for better reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you enjoyed the tale :)
    Thanks for sharing your review

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  4. At one time we had fifteen in our house. Six sounds tame.

    When we lived in our first house the cats got to go outside, but that's because they were strays that we had to drag inside. But when we moved they all stayed inside the house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fifteen...! I don't know how I'd be able to give them all the attention they deserve, though I must admit that if I saw a stray cat who was starving, I'd wind up feeding it and finding it a home. Cats seem to know which people have this nurturing tendency, which is why it seems to me that many cat lovers have multiple cats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sara Jo, you hit the nail on the head! That's exactly how I ended up with six furry darlings. I just can't turn them away. There's one gray tom who comes to my back door twice a day to get fed. He was as skinny as a rail when I started feeding him. Now he's on the plump side. He eats like there's no tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cats are definitely too smart for our good. I wouldn't trade mine for anything, though.

    ReplyDelete